Monday, November 23, 2009

Spiraling into Fandom


First, a comic! (by zarla - click it to view in a easier way, then click the picture again to enlarge to see it properly) Yeah, I pretty much love Otacon. He's hilarious. And he's a great support for Snake, despite being a huge nerd/anime-otaku scientist guy.

On to the real thing: So, I recently realized I've gotten into the habit of just falling into fandoms at random. Well, maybe not random, but close enough.

Truth is, I seem to fall in love with fandoms before I even become a fan of any series now. Happened with some games recently, like for Metal Gear Solid and Star Control II. I have some online friends who are into both, so I happen to hear a lot about the crack-crazy things fans come up with about the games and I get hooked. Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright games worked the same way for me.

Usually, I fall in love with a particular character (that is, love in a "that's a cool or fun or awesome or interesting character" kind of sense. I don't get crushes on characters... usually) then I move on from there. I find comics, fanfiction, fanart, etc. of this particular character and just find myself falling into the fandom.

I kind of wish I didn't do this but I guess there's no helping it. I really end up spoiled for a lot of things when this happens but I don't take being spoiled as hard as most gamers do. As long as I don't know about the truth behind some epic fail I'm generally okay with a little spoiler or two. No HUGE plot points, thank you.

I don't tend to really care what people say online either, but can I really ever call myself a fan if I just fell into being a fan and didn't build it up myself over time, playing the game and failing and wining and doing it all by myself first? I don't know. I just.... should I even be worrying about it? Probably not, but I do wish I had known these games when they first came out.

Don't you just love it when you get a game and you play it and it's amazing and then it becomes popular? Then you can rightfully say "I knew this was an awesome game." For serious, I think I'm just over thinking because of lack of sleep. Maybe I'll elaborate more coherently later. *sleep*
~H.D., resident otaku

No comments:

Post a Comment